WRTC 2002 – My Story as a Competitor (Part 2)

For Part 1, click Here.

Part 2:  The contest, Play-by-Play

          Before I start with the play-by-play of the contest, let me first describe the rules of the WRTC competition.  Although the competition was held during the annual IARU contest, the rules for WRTC competitors were quite different.  Contacts with European stations were worth 1 point, and all other stations outside of Europe were worth 2.  Multipliers consisted of DXCC entities and headquarters stations, once per band regardless of mode.

            Although we were permitted two stations, the rules were quite strict.  Only one radio was allowed to transmit.  This station was allowed to be networked with the logging computer, which in turn was networked with the computer at the second station.  The second station was not allowed to transmit nor be connected to the network.

            We had spent months leading to the beginning of the contest to discuss and plan our strategy.  Obviously, it was to our benefit to work as many 2-point stations as possible.  We would have to work Europe at a 140/hr rate to match a 70/hr rate with USA.  In addition, CW generally works better than SSB when running 100 watts, so we figured the majority of our QSOs would be with that mode.  Finally, the low bands, 40 and 80 meters (we were not permitted to use 160m), have very narrow and noisy SSB sub bands so we decided to only work CW there unless we needed a multiplier on Phone.

            I sat down with all the logs I could gather from the region to study and try to set up a band plan for the 24-hour contest period.  I noticed that 10 meters did not open often, but when it did, it usually was E skip to the rest of Europe with astonishing rates.  We would definitely have to keep an eye there so we would not miss any openings.  It was obvious that 15 and 20 meters were the money bands, and both seemed open for the entire 24 hours of the contest.  The nights are extremely short in Finland in July; the sun set at 10:30PM and came back up at 3AM, with the sky never getting darker than a twilight.  As a result, we figured we would have to hit 40 and 80 meters hard and heavy during that short period to work as many multipliers and fresh QSOs as possible.

            Our game plan was set.  Dan mentioned that he always starts with a good first hour, so we mutually decided that he would start the contest.  I really enjoy digging in the noise for multipliers, so I was happy being delegated to the receive-only station.  Although we didn’t have a set schedule to change operating positions like many other teams had, it worked out well for both of us.  Dan operated about 60% of the time, running the vast majority of phone.  Neither of us took a break, whomever was on the multiplier station kept working the dial, looking for new multipliers and QSOs that needed to be worked.  One final comment relates to the software.  Although CT has an effective band map, we never used it doe to some bugs in the software.  We passed all multipliers and new contacts on a pad of paper, listing the call and frequency for the run op to see.  We used some codes for additional information.  For example, if the new multiplier seemed easy to work, we would circle the call.  If it had a huge pileup, we’d just list it to check back on frequency later.  Once it was worked we would cross it off the list.  During the 24-hour period we completely filled a steno notebook with comments and call signs.

            With all that explained, it’s time to start the contest play-by-play…

        As soon as the clocks read 1200z, 3PM local time, we quickly grabbed our headsets, threw them on, and turned up the volume on the rigs.  Mika, our Judge, settled in with his own headphones, sitting on a couch behind us.  We were hoping for 15-meter propagation to the states, so Dan quickly shuffled the dial up the band, looking for a hole, finding one at 21012.  After the 1st CQ, K8MFO called in, followed by VE3KZ and RW9QA.  Things were off to a good start!  Although the signals weren’t that strong, there were lots of stateside callers, a good sign.  After the 1st 15 minutes, Dan had logged 43 stations, most of which were the more valuable 2-point stateside guys.  During this time, I worked my way up and down the band, creating a long list of multipliers.  Due to the low power and a clean transmitter, we were able to listen in the same sub band which we were running, making QSY’s easier and making sure we didn’t miss anything.

            Unfortunately, after the 1st 20 minutes, the run seemed to dry out.  The rate dropped, and we were worried.  Dan started working down my list of multipliers, quickly knocking them off.  We quickly worked a string of multipliers, including W1AW/5, 9H1ZA, JH7BZR, and P41HQ.  I was surprised to find BD4XA calling high in the phone band with no takers, so Dan went there and snagged him quickly.  I thought it was cool when he worked EK8WA until I realized he was probably as rare in Finland as a P4 is from W3!  By the end of the first hour, we were quite disappointed.  Although we had quite a few good mults in the log, we only had 92 QSOs, which was far too few.  A small consolation was knowing a lot were worth double credit, but we were really bummed out and only one hour had passed.  Dan and I decided that 15m just wasn’t working, and we swapped operating positions while moving to 20 meters.

            I quickly had a frequency at 14016 and began running European stations.  The rate was absolutely incredible, and everyone calling was booming in.  Wow – so this is WRTC! Cool!  The rate meter jumped over 200, then 250 as the pileup continued.  By 1330 we doubled our QSO totals and our spirits rose.  The vast majority of QSOs were with Europe, but I was surprised when VE7CT called in.  I operated about 30 minutes, and relinquished the seat to Dan once again.  All the callers were loud, often with several calling at a time; it was almost exactly like playing the PED pileup program.  Since Dan does so well at the game, I figured it would be right up his alley.  I took my place back in the multiplier-spotting chair while Dan worked the PED Pileup.

            Dan stayed on 20 CW for much of the remainder of the hour, and the rate continued.  During quick lulls he began working some mults with the second VFO.  Headquarters stations such as PA6HQ and DA0HW were all loud and easily worked this way.  The rate dropped in the last 15 minutes of the hour, and we went back to 15 after snagging VK2APK.  There we finished out the hour working a string of JA’s.  The 1300z hour finished with 261 stations in the log.

            Although the rate wasn’t as good on 15, the callers were all worth 2 points so we stuck around.  The extra time we had was spent snagging 20m mults such as 8N3JHQ (Japanese HQ station) and HB9A.  After only 10 minutes however we realized that we were wasting our time here, and went back to 20, this time phone.  Once again the rate skyrocketed.  First 150, then 250, and then 350!  This was my first time to watch Dan operate phone and I was amazed, laughing out loud at times at his skills.  I looked back at Mika who himself was shaking his head in disbelief.  By 1430Z, the rate (last 10) was peaking at 420 QSOs/hr!  Unfortunately, the frequency was getting more and more crowded and the rate suffered until we were forced to QSY.  Since I had put together a decent sized list of mults on 15, we went there and worked several, including 8N2JHQ and E21EIC.  We were both amazed by how well the simple antenna setup was working.

            At 1440z, it was back to 20CW where I was running Europeans at a reasonable 150/hr rate.  I kept thinking in the back of my head, if the rate here is this good, how much better would it be on phone?  We tested the theory at 1500z, now with more than 400 stations logged.  Before moving, however, we quickly worked a loud ES9A on 10m, our first QSO on the band and an easy one, since Estonia is just a short hop across the sea.

            The rate was better on phone, but not for long.  15 meter was still open stateside, so we went there to work a few more USA stations, including K6AM in California.  The band was open but we couldn’t get anything going.  On 10, we worked R3HQ, our second QSO there.  It looked like we wouldn’t get any openings like I’d seen going through past logs.  On the contrary, 20 CW was opening up nicely worldwide so we went back there, running Europe and the additional 2 pointed from North America and Asia.  Nice multipliers that called in included BA4DW and HL5UOG.  The clock read 1600Z and there were 505 stations in the log.

            20m was open nicely to Asia and Europe, and the UA9’s kept calling in.  We kept the second VFO on 15 meters, moving back there for multipliers.  9V9HQ and Robin 4D70RG were both good ones worked.  We were happy to break the pileup to ZD9IR V51NAM on 15 phone.  I was listening on the multiplier station to 5Z4IC, who had a huge pileup.  There were plenty of OJ stations calling, but none getting through.  Dan remained on 20, running stations, while I listened to the pileup. That’s when I heard the 5Z station asking for everyone “Will everyone please QRX, are there any World Radiosport teams on frequency?”  I yelled to Dan who quickly changed VFOs and called.  Damn – another OJ beat us.  I’m nervous as Dan calls again.  Cool! We got him! After us, he went back to working Europe, and I still hear a couple OJ’s calling. Phew – that was cool! Man contesting is fun – little things like that make it all worthwhile.  Later on 20 we snag 9V9HQ once again.  We finish the 1600z hour with another 100 stations logged.

          We’re on a rate to make nearly 3000 contacts, would that be enough?  Before the contest, most of the Finns believed that the winning team would have somewhere around 1800 QSOs, taking into consideration the Aurora which often rears it’s ugly head this far north.  The morning of the contest, while eating breakfast with Steve, N2IC, he mentioned that the winning team would need 2800 QSOs.  I’m not sure where he came up with that number, but as you’ll see, his prediction was pretty close!

    20 meters is still rocking and rolling, and we stick around a while longer.  We keep an ear on 10m, hoping for some life, and about 20 minutes into the hour we start hearing signals!  We log G3TXF, SN0HQ, and G3WVG, who’s calling “CQ OJ”.  While the band is showing some signs of life, the conditions are odd.  Signals pop out of the noise, quickly come up to S9, and dissapear to nothing within a minute.  It reminded me of meteor scatter.  The other OJ’s are swarming the band by now, all searching for multipliers.  We work several, and the band quickly opens to Argentina, where we work several before they dissapear into the noise.

    By 1740z, 10 has dried up again.  It is obvious that we’re wasting our time there.  We try 15 meter sideband, and find the band open stateside.  The rate picks up again as Dan knocks out the QSOs.  I find a lonely 9Q0AR and he makes a quick QSY to work him.  The band is open across the states, with W7’s logged amongst the eastern USA stations.  We finish the hour there, now with 737 QSOs.

    20 seems good, so we go back there for a try.  It is a mistake, as the rate plummets.  After only 5 minutes, it is back to 15, now CW.  K3ZO is logged, followed by VU2UR.  The rate just isn’t as good as the previous hour.  We pop the VFO back to 10 to work PA6HQ and S50HQ, and then try 40, which is now filled with loud Europeans.

    The morning before the contest started, as I was heading toward Mika’s car for the ride from the hotel, I ran into John, W2GD.  He pulled me aside and gave me this tip: go to 40 early.  He had operated from OJ0 before and noticed that the low bands opened early, even when it was bright daylight out.  At 1821z, I hopped quickly to 40 and ran a few eastern Europeans.  Dan tuned up 10m and noticed signals again.  I quickly QSYed there, and began to run Eastern Europeans.  Is this the big Sporatic E opening we were hoping for?  We quickly found out it wasn’t, as the signals dropped into the noise after about 20 quick contacts.  Back to 40 we go.

    I tuned up the band, noting that it was sunrise in Japan.  I was hoping to find a Japanese station to work before it was too late.  There!  JH4UYB is Cqing, and loud too!  I called several times, never getting a response.  It got very disappointing, so I spun the dial to the bottom of the band with the intension of tuning and quickly search and pouncing some multipliers.  Right above band edge, there’s 8N2JHQ, sitting fat and pretty, Cqing away.  I call him, and he comes back quickly for the double mult.  It turns out we were one of only a couple teams to work the JA headquarters station; several teams never worked a JA on the band.  We settled in on a frequency, and began running guys.  The band was wide open into eastern Europe and Asia, and there were many UA9s and UA0s intermixed with the OK’s and DL’s.  The 1800z hour finishes up when JH4UYB, whom I wasted 3 minutes trying to work, calls in for an easy contact.  There are 836 QSOs in the log.

    10 meters is showing some signs of life again, so we return there to work CT9M, OI2HQ, and a couple more OJ’s before everyone fades into the mud.  Unfortunately we waste nearly 15 minutes there, and once we return to our senses we go back to 40 which is still hopping.  It is 10:30PM local time, and while the sun is just beginning to set here, most of Europe is in darkness.  While I was on 40, Dan compiles of huge list of multipliers he hears on 15.  He go there, and work a large string of needed HQ stations, as well as J75KG and OA4O.  HS0AC is one noted double mult we easily worked.  After a string of about 15 multipliers, it is back to 40 for the remainder of the hour, with Europe and the occasional UA9 calling in.  We stay there through the hour and on into 2000z, as the rate is very good.  At 2045z, we make the hop to 80 where we find the band also wide open to Europe.  We finish the hour there, working mostly Europeans and even some UA9’s where are now coming into sunlight.  The clock strikes 2100Z, midnight local time, and we’ve finally hit the 1000 QSO mark.

    20 is started to sound good stateside, as it is coming into late afternoon there.  We move there and begin a good run of stateside stations with a few Europeans mixed in.  Although the rate is better on 40 and 80, these guys are all worth double points.  We finish the hour there, with another 160 stations logged.

    Dan comments that since we have limited darkness, we need to be on 40 and 80.  He comments that 20 will be open all night stateside, and we better work the guys on the low bands while we can.  I agree with his thinking, and we move back to 80 at 2200z.  The rate is incredible once we get spotted, jumping above 250/hr.  Not bad for CW! By now all of Europe is in darkness, and we feed on the endless pit of Europeans.  Dan is running, I’m on the spotting radio.  While he’s running CW, I hop up to SSB and search for multipliers.  Our strategy for the low bands is to only run guys on CW there, and to work SSB only for mults.  I find several, mostly headquarters stations, which Dan jumps up to work.  Once the packet pileup starts to dry up on 80, we decide to hop back to 20, sideband this time.

    20 is still wide open stateside, and we start the run off with P40B.  We work a long string of stateside guys, and it’s time to go back to 40 once again.  We really want to maximize our QSOs there.  While 20 will be open for the entire contest, we only will have about 4-6 hours of propagation on 40 and 80.  We finish the first 12 hours there, hopping between 40 and 80.

    Now that the contest is half over, we see that we’ve worked 1400 QSOs.  Half way to the magical 2800 N2IC said would be needed to win.  However, upon reflection, neither Dan nor I felt particularly good about our effort.  We spent too much time calling multipliers, and too much time especially on 10 meters.  While the QSO total is pretty darn good, we just had a feeling of “bad mojo” over the first half of the contest.  It turns out that our thoughts were correct, as we had dropped into the middle of the standings.  Mika told us after the contest was over that we had dropped to 26th place overall by the halfway point.

    We started out the second half of the contest on 80 meters, by working a couple new headquarters multipliers we still needed on sideband.  We discovered a major RF problem, with horrible RF feedback into our headphones.  It’s not something we checked ahead of time, and fortunately we spent so little time there that it didn’t make a difference.  After 20 minutes there, I hopped back to 20 CW for another decent run of stateside guys, with the last 10 on the rate meter pushing 250.  Dan had made up a long list of multipliers we needed on 40, which was now beginning to open to NA.  At 0030 we moved back there, quickly working VY2SS who was our first Canadian on that band.  Also quickly worked were PJ2E, and P41HQ, a nice double multiplier.  We still needed a bunch of multipliers on the low bands, so we stuck it out there even though the rate was slower.  Like Dan said, 20 would be open all night long. We finished the hour out there, swapping between 40 and 80 numerous times to work European multipliers we still needed.

        It was back onto 20 CW for the 0100 hour, and the second caller was AA2F, who happens to be my ham radio Elmer.  My mother told him I was competing, and he made an effort to work as many of the OJ stations as possible.  Although it was disappointing not to be able to say hi, it was cool that I was at the rig when he called.  The rate continued to be outstanding.  Dan found NP4Z on 40, who had a large pileup with several OJ’s in the mix.  Dan listened for a while to the large pileup, and we were happy that none of the OJ’s were making it through, since we didn’t want to leave a good run to call someone we might not work.  All of a sudden Felipe asked for only OJ stations!  We made the quick QSY and called, and worked him immediately.  We were the only OJ calling – all the others we heard had given up by that time!  Before returning to 20, I hopped to 15 meters quickly to give KL9A a call.  Although we had already worked KL7RA on that band, I wanted to give Chris a call.  I cranked up the speed to 46WPM and ripped off a quick call.  He came back immediately with my report.  Chris is one hell of an op.  Conditions were amazing – that’s normally a difficult path and he was pounding in.

    After working KL9A, it was back to 20 CW, our “meat-and-potatoes” band.  We stayed there for the next couple hours, working an endless pit of USA stations.  Infact, we stayed there for several hours, only leaving the band for quick QSYs for multipliers.  The band was wide open to the entire world.  Although the majority were stateside, we had other parts of the world call in such as VK8AV and a couple ZLs.  We mixed up modes, switching from CW to SSB from time to time, to keep the rate going.  We did this for the next 5 hours, adding another 500 contacts, the majority of which were worth 2 points.  It turns out this was a smart strategy and we were beginning to claw our way up the standings!

    Although the sun had been up for hours by the time the clock read 0600z, only then did 15 meters begin to open up.  We were hoping for some real good 15 and 10 meter conditions to finish the last quarter of the contest.  We started working Europeans at about this time, however the rate was still better on 20.  The 0600z hour finished out on 20 meters with about 30 QSOs on 15 meters mixed in.  We were hoping for a good run of JA’s, who were surely interested in our rare prefix, but it never developed.  We didn’t work a single Japanese station this hour.  We also were keeping an eye on 10 meters, hoping for that magical opening.  About midway through the hour, we worked a loud LZ1NG there, the only signal on the band.  It seemed like conditions were not as good as the first part of the contest.

    We continued to tune 10 meters while running 20, and at the top of the hour Dan heard the first JA of the morning – surprisingly on 10 meters!  Even more suprising, he was louder to the south!  Weird.  We went there and quickly logged JA8RWU, who clearly was loudest beaming South.  10 was showing some signs of life, so we made the QSY there early into the 07Z hour.  The rate wasn’t fantastic, but at 100/hr, it was good enough considering everything was a multiplier.  The band was open to Eastern Europe, and we were working mostly Ukrainians with an occasional UA9 caller as well. It certainly wasn’t the super opening we were hoping for, but it was better than nothing.

    We finished the hour there, but decided 15 would be better and started the 0800z on sideband there.  It was a good decision as the rate exploded.  We hadn’t spent much time there so we were “fresh OJ” to the masses and a large pileup ensued.  The Packet Pileup dried up after about 30 minutes, and after a short time on 10, it was back to 15 meters, CW this time, for another packet pileup explosion of Europeans.  This was fun!  At this point we changed out strategy somewhat.  We would swap bands or modes about every 30 minutes.  This would continue until the end of the contest.  Every time we switched, we would have an instant pileup which would last for about 20 minutes then dry up.  A mode of band switch would create a new pileup.

    We continued to listen to 10 meters, hoping for an opening.  There were a lot of OJ stations calling CQ there, but very few working anything.  We knew they were wasting their time as we concentrated on 15.  During this period, I heard and worked the Japanese HQ station on 10, who was this time louder direct path.  We wasted about 5 minutes calling the Taiwanese HQ station, who would have been a nice double multiplier, but he never heard us.  It was very weird listening to him.  At times he was louder direct path, other times pointing south was best.  We never worked any other Asian stations there, which was a disappointment.

    The European pileups continued, and even the last 100 rate topped 200 QSOs per hour for a while.  We worked GM3POI on 10, who then asked us to QSY to 40.  He was trying to work as many OJ stations on all the bands.  I was like “yeah sure, its Noon here – no way!” but he asked us to try anyway.  We went there, and there he was, 20 over S9 at noon.  Wow – he’s got quite a station!  Up to this point we had moved very few multipliers.  Most of the rare guys we would want to move were in locations where there was only one or two bands open to that part of the world at that time.  I think for that reason very few guys were moved.  I thing we ended up moving 14 multipliers, which was about average for all the competitors.

    The time flew by as the rate continued.  We would be on 15CW, then 10CW, than 15SSB, then 10SSB.  Every time we would QSY there would be a flurry of contacts made which then would quickly drop off, signifying as time to move again.  10 really never opened up although we spent some time there.  The band was weird.  For a couple minutes, we would work a bunch of guys.  Then for another few minutes, nothing.

     After the contest was over, I was finally explained why by a couple of the Finns.  This far north, the Aurora is what mostly affects propagation.  What was happening, was the Auroral zone was fluctuating, moving down over our location for a short while before receding back north.  This happened all morning long.  That’s why the Asian stations were louder in different directions.  When the Aurora was over us, we were working them scatter, pointed south.  When it was receded, we could work them direct path.  Very interesting!  We were lucky, because the Aurora could have affected us in much worse ways!

    By 1100z, 15 meters was starting to dry up.  We had simply worked everyone.  Dan wanted to try 20 meter Sideband, which was a great decision.  We hadn’t been there all morning, and the band was wide open to Europe.  He ripped off 139 QSOs in the last hour, including an incredible 14 in the final 2 minutes after we were spotted near the finish.  Mika and I sat there in amazement of his sideband operating ability.  The pileup was incredible at the end!

    At the final bell, we took off our headphones and looked at Mika.  He’s the one who would know how well we were doing.  We had no idea of how well we were doing, however every hour he went into the other room to look at our real-time score on the web.  Every once in a while we would look at him when he was walking back into the room, but he was always stone faced, not giving anything away.  How well had we done?  Mika said “I think you will be happy with your result”.  We went to the other room and saw our standing at 5th.  Woo-Hoo!  We’d done pretty well!  We saw that the team of N6AA/N6TJ was at the top of the standings, but it was soon noted that their score was incorrect.  We had finished 4th!!  We had worked 2714 QSOs, of which 1692 were CW and 1022 on SSB.  In addition, we had 436 multipliers, which would later drop a couple since the IARU regional secretaries didn’t count for us.  Not bad for 100 watts and modest antennas!  As for N2IC’s prediction; the top few teams were all at or close to the 2800 QSO total he had predicted.

     After tearing down all the equipment, we had a late afternoon meal of soup and bread with our host and we loaded up in the car to return to the hotel.  We returned to the hotel to find several other competitors there, all looking at the top claimed scores.  N6TJ was running around telling everyone that his logging software miscalculated their score, so we confirmed out claimed 4th place standing. 

     I went up to the 4th floor where the log checkers were located to give them a hand written summary of our score and some notes I had taken during the contest.  Dave, K1ZZ, had asked me for the summary so they had something go run off of as they began crunching all the logs.  Dan and I were physically exhausted, so we both went to bed early.  I wasn’t able to sleep well; our room was located directly below the log checking room and there was bumping and banging all night long as they crunched the logs.

    I had to get up early the next morning to catch the tour bus for the “Nature tour of Finland”, hosted by OH5NQ.  The day consisted of a long drive into the lakes region of eastern Finland, a boat ride and a light lunch on an island, and a ride to a horticultural park located on OH5NQ’s property.  All in all, it was a good trip, because I was able to spend considerable time chatting with W4AN, N6ZZ, N5KO, and others.  I’ve worked these guys uncountable times in contests, and considered them good friends.  It was enjoyable to finally spend some time with them in person, exchanging stories and having a good time.

    That evening, we left the hotel and boarded two passenger ferries for a ride through the harbor and around Helsinki to the dinner gala location.  It seemed that the majority of the famous contesters in the world were all sitting on these two boats.  Andy, N2NT, commented that if they sank, contesting as the world knew it would cease to exist!

    The boats pulled up to a small island located off the old district of Helsinki.  Atop the island was a very old style building where the restaurant was located.  It looked a lot like the Bates Motel J  Dan and I found seats and were joined by WC4E, RN9AO, and UA9BA.  Although the Eastern Russian contesters seemed somewhat reserved, probably due to the language barrier, the UA9’s were extremely cool and I was very happy to enjoy the dinner with them.  As the top 10 teams were called up, I was hoping that maybe, just maybe, we would make it into the top 3 after log checking.  It wasn’t to be and we were called up as the 4th place team.  All in all it was an enjoyable evening, and it wasn’t until late into the night when we rode back to the hotel to finish packing.

    Tuesday morning, I was up bright and early at 5AM for my departure flight.  I got on the bus with W4AN and K4BAI for the ride to the airport, where we joined K1AR, K1DG, K1ZZ, K5ZD and others who were waiting outgoing flights.  7AM rolled around, I boarded the plane, and I took off for the long flight home.

    In retrospect, WRTC was easily the most memorable ham radio experience in my life.  I got to meet all the “famous” contesters of the world, and can now consider many as very good close friends.  I am extremely happy about my 4th place finish.  Dan and I were the only team in the top 10 who hadn’t competed at WRTC before.  I think we really turned some heads and perhaps gained some respect in the contesting community.  On the other hand, it was a little frustrating to be the 1st team NOT on the podium, and the 1st team to go home empty handed.

My future goals?  Originally my goal was to participate at WRTC.  That goal is completed, but I want to WIN WRTC.  That is my goal.  I hope we will have the opportunity to do that in 2006.  It is a long time away, and until then I plan to remain active and competitive on contests, and improve my friendship with those I met that week in July. 

    In closing, I want to thank a number of people.  Without the Florida Contest Group, I probably would not have even made it to Finland.  They helped me financially to offset some of the costs, and they were great supporters of me.  Paul and Pidge, K1PT and KD1BG, who have opened their home to me many times in order to remain on the air and make competitive scores in contests. Dan, K1TO, who I knew was supporting me even with all the good natured ribbing.  The Finns, OH2BH and others, who put on one hell of a program.  And more than anything, my wife Mickey who stood by me and supports me with my hobby.  Without these people and more, I would never have placed 4th, or even had the chance to compete in Finland.  Thank you!

Click here to download the contest log (saved as OJ3R.TXT)

                  Continent Statistics
               OJ3R   WRTC    Multi Single     14 Jul 2002  1159z

                 160   80   40   20   15   10  ALL   percent

North America   CW    0    0    9  367   75    0  451    16.4
South America   CW    0    0    6   14    5    4   29     1.1
Europe          CW    0  146  248  400  229   64 1087    39.4
Asia            CW    0    9   29   57   43    5  143     5.2
Africa          CW    0    0    1    1    1    0    3     0.1
Oceania         CW    0    0    0    7    1    0    8     0.3

North America   SSB    0    0    0  160   43    0  203     7.4
South America   SSB    0    0    0   15    7    3   25     0.9
Europe          SSB    0   17   13  374  264   81  749    27.2
Asia            SSB    0    0    1   19   22    2   44     1.6
Africa          SSB    0    0    1    0    9    1   11     0.4
Oceania         SSB    0    0    0    3    0    0    3     0.1

BREAKDOWN QSO/mults  OJ3R  WRTC  Multi Single

HOUR      160      80       40       20       15       10    HR TOT  CUM TOT  

  12    .....    .....    .....    .....    92/35    .....    92/35   92/35 
  13      .        .        .     158/38    10/2       .     168/40  260/75 
  14      .        .        .     122/6     17/5       .     139/11  399/86 
  15      .        .        .      87/5     12/5      2/4    101/14  500/100
  16      .        .        .      66/9     26/13      .      92/22  592/122
  17      .        .        .      68/5     48/4     16/8    132/17  724/139
  18      .        .      63/20    10/2     12/3     16/8    101/33  825/172
  19      .       2/4     49/8       .      11/16     9/7     71/35  896/207
  20    .....    22/12    84/19    .....    .....    .....   106/31 1002/238
  21      .       8/2       .     144/10      .        .     152/12 1154/250
  22      .     107/30     1/1     31/2       .        .     139/33 1293/283
  23      .      17/10    63/10    18/5       .        .      98/25 1391/308
   0      .      15/9     18/17    48/2       .        .      81/28 1472/336
   1      .        .       7/2     72/5      1/1       .      80/8  1552/344
   2      .        .       3/1     85/4      1/1       .      89/6  1641/350
   3      .        .       8/4     87/8       .        .      95/12 1736/362
   4    .....    .....     4/5    115/3      2/3     .....   121/11 1857/373
   5      .        .        .     100/2      6/5       .     106/7  1963/380
   6      .        .        .      60/9     20/4      6/7     86/20 2049/400
   7      .        .        .      12/1     32/6     68/6    112/13 2161/413
   8      .        .        .       1/1    144/3     12/0    157/4  2318/417
   9      .        .       1/1      1/1    161/6      3/1    166/9  2484/426
  10      .        .        .        .      66/3     26/4     92/7  2576/433
  11      .        .        .     113/0     25/3       .     138/3  2714/436
TOT       .     171/67   301/88 1398/118  686/118   158/45      .   2714/436